• InfoGuide
  • Healthcare

Decoding Student Health Insurance in Germany: Switching Options, and Contribution Rates Explained!


Date20 Feb 2024


Unlock the secrets of student health insurance in Germany!

This article answer vital questions about public and private insurances for students under 30.  Explore the possibility of switching between insurance types, contribution rates, and learn if cancellation is required upon leaving Germany permanently. Your ultimate guide to student health coverage awaits! 

1. Are all students under 30 years subject to mandatory health- and long-term care insurance?

Yes. Students under 30 years of age who study at a state-approved university or college in Germany are subject to mandatory public health insurance and long-term care insurance. In some cases, an exemption is possible, but you’ll need to think carefully about the consequences before making your decision. It’s always best to contact BARMER directly for further advice on this important topic.

2. Is it possible to change between public and private insurance during my course of studies?

No. Once you begin your course of studies, you cannot change between public and private health insurances. Your decision is binding for the duration of your course.

3. What are the contribution rates for students?

For students in Germany, it’s not possible to get public health insurance alone – long-term care insurance is mandatory as well, and both contributions are combined. All students pay the same reduced rate for these insurances. Students are required to pay a monthly contribution of €122.78 (under the age of 23) or €127.65 (from the age of 23). Students with children receive a reduction on their long-term care contribution rate of 0.25% per child (from two to five children under the age of 25).

4. How do I pay my contributions?

Via direct debit each month. In most cases, BARMER books the contributions directly from your bank account. The payment is always due on the 15th of the following month. For example, your contributions for October will be debited from your bank account on the 15th of November. You’ll need to give BARMER the authorization to debit the contributions from your account with a signed SEPA direct debit mandate.

5. Do I need to cancel my insurance when leaving Germany permanently?

Yes. You need to inform BARMER when you leave Germany permanently so we can cancel your health insurance. Please visit the residents’ registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) to deregister your address and submit a copy of this document to BARMER along with a copy of your flight ticket and certificate of exmatriculation.

#germanhealthcare#barmer talk#healthcare#students in germany#new2germany